invisible homeless kids

Hard to imagine that in this country way over 3 MILLION kids are without homes. H-O-M-E-L-E-S-S Kids. I don't get it. Are we willing to discard these kids? Not me. So this blog will relentlessly focus on this issue, hoping to light a spark to fuel a compassion epidemic. Chime in, argue, but do something....

Sunday, December 16, 2007

It's Easy to Understand...

Sometimes I struggle to understand how people with so much can seem to care so little for those with nothing.

But, as I spend a week in the Atlanta area with my parents, I feel conflicted with what I have and what I know so many lack. My struggle is enhanced by the little amount of time I have to even think, much less act, on what is important to me.

Atlanta is a a plethora of stores, many upscale, that cater to a shopper's every need. Mega-mansions and gated communities reflect an apparent affluence. Thankfully, a sprinkling of "normal" communities keep it real.

The thermometer is dropping tonight. The freeze warnings are posted. It strikes me that most of those weather service warnings are geared toward plants. Bring in the potted plants, honey, it's gonna get cold. Don't leave the dog out all night. And I'm complaining to myself because my folks like to keep the thermostat cranked up....

Seems to me those of us with abundance move further away from those who suffer without the basics. We're in a different orbit from the family huddled in the back of a van, struggling to find some way to stay warm enough to sleep at least part of the night. Our struggle is to find some way to keep connected with all of our sisters and brothers across the land....It will take more than a national weather service warning.

No comments: