|The ICPH map showing the dearth of family |
shelters across the country hung proudly
from Tillie at our Arkansas launching spot--
the Clinton Presidential Library in
Little Rock, AR.
The awareness factor of homeless families and kids is dismayingly low--on all levels: elected officials, school personnel, and community members. As Babes of Wrath, we set out to change that in a swath of states from AR to CA, from Pacific to Atlantic coasts.
Tillie, my tin can on wheels, served as our traveling home-office, albeit a tad crowded. We contacted our network--Pat's Green Party and my HEAR US McKinney-Vento and shelter friends--and set up events. The tremendous cooperation we received made our trip extremely worthwhile and satisfying! We cannot thank our friends enough for their efforts, support and hospitality!
In addition to events, Pat and I blogged. She writes for HuffPo and New Clear Vision. I write for AlterNet, as well as my (neglected) invisible homeless kids and Wanderers.
We received some incredible media interest, including the prestigious cable news show, The Young Turks.
Social media proved to be our super-tool, with our EPIC Journey FB page becoming quite the hotspot of cyberspace.
The crux of our journey--and the reason we did this crazy marathon trip--consists of 2 groups:
- university students and audience members who attended our events; and,
- the people experiencing homelessness who shared their stories with us.
We're excited that the stories and support have lead to a bodacious plot. More on that soon!
We took this journey for each of you--those experiencing homelessness and those working to ease the crisis of homelessness. We're not done yet, so we urge you to join our EPIC Journey family because we've got some exciting news round the corner!
Knowing your time is limited, unlike our blogs and stories, I'm listing my favorites below.
- Pat called me a "daft knight" and a middle-age broad, and I'm delighted!
- My double-double-dog dare to 2016 Prez candidates
- An in depth, and disturbing look at Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County's legendary lawless-lawman. Sheriff Joe, Whatta Ya Know? (includes blog and links to transcript and photos)
- Focus on the film stars--the kids of My Own Four Walls--People's Tribune
- Flagstaff, AZ covered our event
- The Young Turks news show
Far from feeling all news is bad news, this trip restored my faith in good people doing good things. After 8 years, 166,000 miles, that's the kind of tune-up this gal needed! Happy to share a burst of good news, knowing we all need to hunker down to overpower the naysayers. Count on this "daft knight" to continue my humble efforts. Stick around!