invisible homeless kids

Hard to imagine that in this country way over 3 MILLION kids are without homes. H-O-M-E-L-E-S-S Kids. I don't get it. Are we willing to discard these kids? Not me. So this blog will relentlessly focus on this issue, hoping to light a spark to fuel a compassion epidemic. Chime in, argue, but do something....

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

These Kids Are Making a Huge Difference!

Some kids are destined for great things. It's not often that kids who've experienced life without a home can have a positive impact on countless kids and adults nationwide, but for the HEAR US kids, it's happening.

The 2008 edition of My Own Four Walls was unveiled today in Boston. This is the enhanced version of the HEAR US production that has captured hearts of audiences across the country in the past year. Hearing kids share their thoughts on homelessness seems to have touched bunches of people based on the feedback I'm getting at the Horizons for Homeless Children conference.

All I'm going to say tonight is I'm so proud of each of the 75 kids who volunteered to be a part of this incredible documentary project. They need to know that their courage will have long-lasting effects far beyond what is calculable. I'm so delighted that our paths have crossed!

My deep gratitude to Laura Vazquez, media professor at Northern Illinois University, for her incredible expertise that converted my raw footage into this award-winning documentary.

Seems to me that it's time to unleash those with the most to gain in this "end homelessness" movement. Don't get me wrong--I'm not talking about the housing bureaucrats. HEAR US will seek even more ways to give voice and visibility to homeless kids and adults. We can learn lots listening to experts.


No comments: