invisible homeless kids

Hard to imagine that in this country way over 3 MILLION kids are without homes. H-O-M-E-L-E-S-S Kids. I don't get it. Are we willing to discard these kids? Not me. So this blog will relentlessly focus on this issue, hoping to light a spark to fuel a compassion epidemic. Chime in, argue, but do something....

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Just a Tad of Rejection

One of the hardest realities of homelessness for me would be rejection and denial of my humanity. I've had a lifetime of people responding--mostly positively--to my existence. People have often told me that their homelessness seems to reduce their humanity in the eyes of others.

Trying to fly out of O'Hare on a well-intentioned "buddy pass" on New Year's Day and Jan. 2nd, I had just a tad of that less-than-human feeling. Stand-by passengers are a sorry lot, ill-regarded by gate staff, almost if we are unworthy. All I wanted to do was get back to my RV in Phoenix, thus escaping the bitter cold that had swooped in overnight in Chicago.

Getting to the airport for a morning flight was the easy part. After dropping me off, my friend Helen let me know that if I got stuck she'd get me, a safety net I didn't anticipate needing. After being turned away like yesterday's garbage from 3 flights, with no prospect of other open flights thanks to the weather-related cancellations, I took her up on her offer. Friends like Helen are treasures!


She even brought me back at 5 a.m. to try again. Rejection was clear-cut as the ticket counter person said buddy passes were embargoed on this day. Ouch. To add insult to injury, I hadn't had any coffee, figuring that once I crossed through security I'd take care of that essential.

Not wanting to waste another day at the airport getting nowhere, I did what any computer-carrying, coffee-deprived homeless woman would do--went into the bathroom, plugged in my computer and looked up options. My resources are not infinite, but I had enough to choke up for the 1-way ticket. Boarding pass in hand I tried to patiently wait in the seemingly endless security line to get my coffee. I landed in sunny, warm Phoenix before noon. Helen's friendship extends this far, with her friends picking me up from the airport.


Seems to me that besides the obvious home-less situation, the worst part of being in that category is the scorn that comes with it. It wouldn't take me long to start deserving that scorn because my coffee-less self was getting quite annoyed with hitting brick walls, and that was just with air travel, not life or death situations that face most people who lack homes.

No comments: